The Walter Hundhausen foundry was established in 1914 in Gevelsberg, Germany.
After WWI the company moved 25 km to Schwerte at the eastern edge of the Ruhr area.
In 1928 the production of black heart malleable castings started.
Heavy truck axle components became a main product after WWII.
Walter Hundhausen was taken over by the Hoesch steel company from Dortmund in 1989 and became part of Krupp Hoesch Automotive four years later. 1993 closure of the branch plant in Werdohl.
In 2000 the Walter Hundhausen iron foundry was taken over by the GMH group from Georgsmarienhütte.
A new large 40t/h cupola furnace replaced the old induction furnaces in 2008. The foundry employes more than 600 people.
Further images at Stahlseite.
The Republic Steel company just fired up it’s new electric arc furnace in Loraine, Ohio. It replaces two blast furnaces and a BOF steel making shop idled five years ago.
Blast furnace No. 3 has a hearth diameter of 8,68 meters, furnace No 4 is 8,83 meters wide.
The BOF shop was built in 1971 and it contains two 220 ton vessels.
is the last rail mill in France.
The former Usine Saint Jacques in Hayange, France was founded by the De Wendel family in 1892. After the closure of the iron and steel production in 1972 the rail mill was outsourced by USINOR (successor of the De Wendel group) in 1994 now called Sogerail and owned by Unimetal.
In 1999 the mill was sold to the British Steel company from the UK to become part of the new Corus Group the same year.
Since 2007 the rail mill in Hayange is called Tata Steel Rail and part of the Indian Tata group.
Rails up to 108 meters in length can be produced. Billets for the rolling mill come from Tata’s steel plant in Scunthorpe, England.
Usine St. Jacques in the 1960ies.
Melting shop. © Viktor Mácha
Hradek works were established on the site of former hammer mill , which was bought by a local businessman Rudolf L. Hudlicky in 1900. The operation of the modernized smelter was launched just year later. The production focused on agricultural, gardening and mining character tools from cast iron.
With increasing demand Hudlicky commissioned the first rolling mill in 1906. Grey iron foundry was put in operation soon after.
Medium seciton rolling mill. © Viktor Mácha
The most significant expansion of Hradek works are occured in the period 1912-1915 . Along with the reorganization and establishment of joint-stock company begins construction of open-hearth shop designed by architect Stanislav Bechyně with adjacent heavy, medium and light section rolling mill.
After the nationalization the mill was merged into United steelworks concern. As the steel demand was increasing new melting shop with three arc furnaces was built during 60´s.
Open-hearth furnaces. © Viktor Mácha
Hradek works are now owned by Z-Group Steel holding. Besides of pair of open-hearth furnaces, which were shut down for environmental reasons in 2001 and their symbolic smoke stacks dismantled in 2013, three former rolling mills are still in use. Steel is supplied by two electric arc furnaces (40 tons).
Images from 2008-2013 available now on www.viktormacha.com .
The Lethbridge viaduct in Alberta, Canada was built in 1908 using 12436 tons of steel.
It is still in use and the largest structure of it’s kind.
was rolled yesterday at the TSTG rail mill in Duisburg.
The rolling mill exists since 1894 built by the August Thyssen Hütte and sold to the Austrian Voest Alpine group in 2001.
Voest is still producing rails at it’s Donawitz works in Austria.
TSTG’s finishing stands were built in 1924 named “Fertigstrasse 1″ back then.
Fagersta is associated with industrial activity since 17th century, oldest records of forges and hammer mills are dating back to 1611. Hight quality ore, rich forests and easy access towater power made Fagersta soon an important metallurgical center of the country. In 1873 company Fagersta Bruk was founded and achieved international fame soon. The main manufacturing segment consisted of cast tubes and drawn wire from stainless steel. By the 1927 a blast furnace, Bessemer steel making shop and several rolling mills were in use here. These were modernized in 1943. German mane rolling stand SACK in blooming mill is still active today. Recent photographs to be seen at www.viktormacha.com .
Donwturn of iron and steel production occurred in 1979, when the blast furnace was tapped for the last time. Steel mill followed in 1985 and the production was switched to Degefors plant mainly.
Fagersta Stainless AB was founded in 1984 and operates a rod mill is made of stainless steel currently. Billets are supplied by steel plants in Avesta and Sandviken.
The last largest AOD converter in Europe can be found in Acciai Speciali Terni plant in Italy. The mill was founded in 1884 ad ” Società degli Alti Forni , ed Fonderie Acciaierie di Terni “. Production range consisted of cast pipes for italian water systems and steel plates for marine industry. Today two electric arc furnaces (125 and 150 tons), 140 tons AOD converter no.2, continuous casting machine, strip rolling mill and forge are still in use. Older converter no.1 was dismantled two years ago.
Visit www.viktormacha.com/terni for more recent images and www.stahlseite.de/terni for photographs from 2006.
U.S. Steel announced the permanent closure of it’s Hamilton, Canada based iron and steel making facilities.
The former Steel Company of Canada (STELCO), founded in 1910, once employed more than 14000 people on the banks of the Lake Ontario.
The plant was bought by U.S. Steel in 2007 and partly idled in 2010.
Only some hot rolling and coke making activities will be continued.
Further images at Stahlseite
Steel casting. © Viktor Mácha
Liezen is an important industrial district in Styrian valley Ennstal. Surrounding ore deposits are well-known since 13th century already, traces of mining and smelting activity dates back to the end of 19th century here.
Current foundry was established by Schmid-Schmidsfeld family in 1939 and named as “Schmidhütte Liezen”. The original purpose was war material production only. The works consisted of one open-hearth melt shop and two electric arc furnaces. Plant was closed down when American Allied army reached Liezen, however reopened and refurbished soon after when taken over by VÖEST company.
In 1994 the foundry became private as “Maschinenfabrik Liezen -und Gießerei” and belongs among the top manufactures of machines for mineral processing including crushing and sorting equipment today. The steel is melted in two 8 tons electric arc furnaces. Further images on www.viktormacha.com .